Gozo has some of the best beaches anywhere in Malta and they tend to be more peaceful and natural too. The sun shines some 300 days per year and sunbathing weather is more or less guaranteed between June and September and regularly stretches from May to November.
The water is a crystal clear azure and warm for most of the year – perfect for swimming, snorkelling, diving or just splashing about. Gozo has two beautiful red sandy beaches – Ramla and San Blas – with space for games and sand castles, as well as a couple of smaller yellow-sandy shores at Marsalforn and ix-Xlendi. There are also plenty of good rocky swimming areas.
Being such a small island, if there is wind on one side of Gozo, you need only hop a few kilometres along the coast to find another bay that is calm and tranquil – so there is almost always a beach to serve your purpose.
Keep safe at the beach and in coastal areas:
- If you see anyone in difficulty, call Emergency 112;
- Go to beaches that are manned by lifeguards;
- Heed the coloured beach flags indicating the sea conditions;
- Beware of undertows and strong currents;
- Never dive without a buddy;
- Keep children under constant supervision;
- Beware of freak waves and keep away from the coast edge;
- Ask a local for advice.