This chapel to St. Joseph stands on Triq San Guzepp (St Joseph’s Street) within the Citadel. It was built in 1625 on the site of another chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas of Bari. In his report on the Apostolic Visitation in 1575 Pietro Dusina wrote that, “people flocked to that chapel with utmost devotion.”
The chapel has a simple facade with a typical round window and an arched ceiling. Bishop Cagliares, who also built Palazzo Cagliares, adorned the chapel with a beautiful altarpiece representing the flight of Saint Joseph to Egypt. This work is attributed to late mannerist artists Filippo Paladino. However the painting we now see inside the chapel is a copy made in 1980. The original is in the Cathedral Museum.