The parish church of il-Qala was designed by Dun Ġużepp Diacono the same architect-priest who designed the church of l-Għasri. It was constructed between 1882 and 1889, when he was serving as parish priest in il-Qala. The church is baroque in style, like many of Gozo’s churches (whether they were built in the seventeenth century or the twentieth!).
Il-Qala became a parish on 3 February 1872, the first to be established after the creation of the Diocese of Gozo (separate from Malta). The seat of the parish church was the church of the Immaculate Conception of Our Lady until St Joseph’s was completed in 1889. The church was consecrated in 1904 and became Archipresbyteral in 1965.
The annual village festa is celebrated in early August.
Accessible for persons with a disability.OPEN IN GOOGLEMAPS