Fort Chambrai was built in 1794 and is named after the man who paid for it, the Baillif Jacques Francoise de Chambrai. It was intended to be the new fortified city of Gozo – Gozo’s Valletta – but construction began just as the threat of corsair attack was receding and people started to feel safe living in rural villages. Consequently the city was never fully built and the fortifications went on to house a barracks and later a mental hospital. At present Fort Chambrai is being converted into a tourist resort.
Back to Sight Seeing & Places of Interest
Accessible for persons with a disability.OPEN IN GOOGLEMAPS