Qolla il-Bajda Battery overlooking the inlets of Qbajjar and Xwejni was built between 1715 and 1716. The battery, with its semi-circular platform, was protected by a ditch on its seaward side. The gorge of the battery was defended by two blockhouses which were joined together by a wall. Musket loopholes in the short flanks of the blockhouses enabled the defenders to provide protective gunfire along the battery’s land front. The main gate leading into the battery was approached by a short flight of steps across a drawbridge. The battery’s armament in 1770 was four 6-pdr. guns with 276 rounds of roundshot and 60 rounds of grapeshot.