At the west end of the popular Ramla beach below ix-Xagħra, an extensive Roman villa was revealed in 1912. One wall can still be made out. A full plan is displayed in the Gozo Museum of Archaeology. In the 18th century, a redoubt was built over it. In addition, a wall was erected below water level across the bay to impede any invading force, and rocks at either end were drilled to serve as cannon. That on the east is still visible.