If you’re spending the Christmas holidays in Gozo, rejoice, not only before Christmas but even during the week between Christmas and New Year! Here’s a handy list of ideas and tips on what not to miss!
1. A symphony of musical concerts
Several Christmas and New Year concerts will be taking place during the week:
• On 28th December, the concert ‘Sing Noel’ will be held in the Basilica of the parish of Xagħra under the direction of Marouska Attard and proceeds will be in aid of the Community Chest Fund.
• Happening as well on the 28th December is the concert taking place at Saint Lawrence Parish Church, in Saint Lawrence. The concert entitled ‘Immorru Betlehem’ will feature the choir ‘Levita Laurentius’ along with other Gozitan singers and musicians.
• ‘Dreams of Vienna’ is another concert earmarked for the 28th December. This Viennise- inspired concert will take place at Hotel Kempinski San Lawrenz. This is the sixth edition of this concert that is held by the Musical Society of Għarb and it will also feature professsional singers and dancers that add to the prestige of the concert.
• Held on Friday 29th Dec, ‘Rejoice in Peace – A Christmas Concert’ will be held in St. James Church in Victoria by the Santa Santa Ċeċilja Foundation.
• A New Year’s Toast will be held on New Year’s Day, by the choir Gaulitanus under the direction of Maestro Colin Attard at the Hotel Kempinski San Lawrenz.
2. Betlehem f’Ghajnsielem & Other Cribs around the island
The live nativity crib which is in its 9th year, always presents some new feature and it is truly worth experiencing. These are the days when it will be animated:
• Tue, 26th Dec 2017 at 2:30pm to 7:30pm
• Sat, 30th Dec 2017 at 4:30pm to 8:30pm
• Sun, 31st Dec 2017 at 2:30pm to 6:00pm
• Mon, 1st Jan 2018 at 3:30pm to 8:00pm
• Sat, 6th Jan 2018 at 4:30pm to 8:30pm
• Sun, 7th Jan 2018 at 2:00pm to 8:00pm
Various other crib exhibitions and nativity scenes are being held during this week in other villages in Gozo. On 30th December, the Christmas in Xagħra Society is also organising an afternoon tour of 25 artistic cribs around the village of Xagħra.
3. Enjoy the Christmas atmosphere around the island.
Christmas is one of Gozo’s winter highlights and taking a stroll along Victoria’s streets especially in the evening is truly rewarding! Even the villages around the island are notorious for the elaborate Chrismtas lights decorations! You’ll get to enjoy the thousands of twinkling lights. Stop at a town or village square and spend a cozy and warm evening at a bar or enjoy a meal in a restaurant.
4. Out and about in the open countryside
If you’d rather chill out away from the merriment of the season, then simply escape to the countryside, which in Gozo is never more than 5 minutes away! Take a path around the coast or explore the valleys and hills. The views offer another kind of magic!
5. The Malta International Christmas Festival Watch out for the parade in Victoria on the 29th Dec.
The parade featuring international performers including Majorette Groups, Folk Groups and Marching Bands will start from St. Francis Square and proceed to Citadel Square.
6. Welcoming the New Year!
On New Year’s Eve, join the crowd for the concert that is held at Independence Square and St George’s Square, Victoria Gozo. This year’s concert will feature The New Victorians, J Joy & Friends Live, Mae, D Capitals and Strait Ahead.
A happy new year from VisitGozo!